I normally don’t write these types of lists, but I figured, “what the hell?” My friends Natalia Sylvester and P.S. Jones did versions of this (choosing 9 and 8 things, respectively). I chose 5 because I like to be mysterious, ;-)
Here we go:
1. I love all things lemon. Lemon scents, lemon verbena soap, lemon drops, and lemons themselves. I make great lemonade, too. I’ll eat a lemon like an orange. Anytime my wife or family members get a lemon with their water, they pass it to me wordlessly and then squirm as they watch me eat it. Mmm-mmm! Lemons!
2. I’m a fan of Indiana Jones. I didn’t identify with most mainstream action heroes growing up, but there was something special about Indy. He’s an underdog, he’s scrappy, and his main squeeze is as tough as him. I used to dress up like him as a kid … fedora, jacket, satchel, gun, whip, the whole deal. These days, he’s motivational to me as a freelance writer, because of his persistence and ingenuity.
3. I like to wear suits. I didn’t know how to tie a necktie until I was about 32, but I began to wear suits to the office shortly after I learned this man-skill. I also wore sneakers with the suits, because I had a twenty minute walk from the light rail station to my office at the time, and I didn’t want to kill my knees. Yes, people made fun of me. These days, I dress up for formal networking events and most in-person client meetings. It makes a good first impression. (And if I have a long way to walk, I bring my sneakers!)
4. I exercise seven days a week. Writing and editing are sedentary pursuits, and you rarely see a writer who is also a renowned athlete. So it’s understandable that you may not know that exercise has been important to me since I was a teenager. I’m also closer to 40 than 30, so I make sure to do yoga five times a week, walk at least 30 minutes a day, and lift weights at least twice a week.
5. My favorite band is Garbage. I say favorite because they’re the first band I found on my own, followed all their news, tracked down as many B-sides as possible, and saw them in concert twice. I enjoy 99% of their songs, and it’s rare for me to like an entire catalog of any band. They formed in the 90s, but I think their music is timeless, with a song for every kind of emotion. Even better? They’re working on a new studio album right now!
So, uh, there you have it! Thanks for playing.
What are some things I don’t know about you? Write ’em in the comments section! :-)